Wednesday, April 6

SPRING BREAK @ SMITH ROCKS

Smith Rocks is an amazing place to rock climb. I've enjoyed a lot of success as well as weathered bitter defeats (e.g. tons of trips/attempts on Chain Reaction years ago) but there is an ambiance to this place that keeps me coming back, with every trip making my memory glow.

This spring break, I was fortunate to enjoy some R&R with my friends Scott, Dom, Andrew, Jake, and Alex. It was so cool to do a new multipitch route with Andrew and see him project his first Smith 5.12a to completion. It was inspiring to see Jake's tenacity and psyche to learn the technique involved with Smith Rocks' climbing style for the first time. It was impressive to watch Dom make quick work of The Quickening - a steep "5.12c." It was good to reconnect with Scott over some beers.

as for me... well, ... it was frustrating.
No hard sends, lot's of training invested, and too many expectations left me feeling short-changed. I love my friends and rock climbing all the more for how they teach me the enjoyment to be found in humility. Favorite climb of the trip for me was with Andrew on the 400' multipitch Zebra Zion, (.11a variation) team ascent/descent!

Andrew sending Middle Aged Vandals, .11c - a great (overlooked) route with just enough holds in just the right spots to hold down the grade
Dom making the clip before the first crux on The Quickening, .12c/d
Butt shot. Me working on Churning in the Wake, .13a
This trip I finally had the balls to run it out to the top, while working Heinous Cling, .12c
a quick video


Til next time Smith Rocks.

God Bless.

NM

No comments: